The Short and Sweet:
- The Business Representative is king (or queen) and they should be embedded with the development team if possible. The development team will build what they have confirmed the Business Representative wants.
- With great power comes great responsibility so choose wisely and if possible have additional embedded Subject Matter Experts.
- All design decisions must be presented to the Business Representative.
- The role of the Business Representative must be clearly defined and explained to the Business Representative, the development team and all the business stakeholders. The definition of the role should be reiterated at every Show Case.
- The key aspect of the Business Representative role is to know which decisions they can make the call on and which decisions need to be escalated or more broadly discussed across stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Maximise the availability of the Business Representative for face-to-face communication to maximise creativity and productivity.
- Project Managers, Business Analysts and Development Team Leaders should act as back-ups in to the Business Representative when deciding if a decision should be made by just the Business Representative or taken to the rest of the stakeholders.
- Record the reasoning behind important Business Representative decisions and stick them up on the wall.
Relevant Agile Manifesto Principles
AgileSweet Economics and Practices
Communication is mutual understanding.
Value maximisation through design and quality assurance optimisation occurs when communication is optimised because communication is the most important factor for maximising creativity and productivity.